July 1, 2020
It’s been three exciting, challenging, and rewarding years. June marks my last month as the President of the CKE; or as my kids like to call me, the ‘Mayor of the CKE’. It’s been a pleasure working for the community and working with some amazing, talented, passionate, and committed Board Members, various committee members, and teams of volunteers. Three years ago, I was pretty sure the CKE was one of the best communities in the city, and I now realize we are the best.
We still have a few items to add at the hall but what an accomplishment. To all of the volunteers, donors, and current and past Directors who pulled this project across the finish line, I’m so proud to have been involved.
I also get to announce some more exciting news; the tennis courts are going to get a complete overhaul this summer, including official Pickleball courts. Lindsey Stene and her team have worked tirelessly over the past two years, fundraising and working with the city to make this substantial project happen. Also, a big thanks to Doug Young for the backyard fundraisers. One more big item to check off!! Hopefully, the rooftop patio will be next.
I am happy to announce that Anne-Marie Dorland, a new Director, will be taking over from me. She will be an amazing representative for the community and is eager to get started. Her experience in governance, communication and her passion for the community are going to be a huge asset to the CKE. I look forward to seeing where she takes us.
We’ve had a few Board Members resign this month and I do want to recognize how essential they have been for me personally in my role and to the community.
• Dan Kennelly has been a Director at Large for four years, and has done so much for the CKE. The amount of time and effort he has spent as the hall “Handyman” throughout the entire build and still today, is incred-ible. His get-it-done attitude is admirable; we are so lucky to have him as a neighbour.
• Sonja Johnson has been on the CKE Board for the past five years in a couple of roles, most recently, as Planning Director. Sonja’s knowledge, tact and passion for the CKE will be missed. We are fortunate to have her continuing to guide us and the city through ongoing planning initiatives.
• Liz Fontana has been the Communications Director for the past two years. Probably the most underappreciated role on the board, Liz has been incredible at keeping everyone informed. Her skill, delivery and the amount of time spent behind the scenes should be recognized and has been a huge value to the community. Prior to this role she was also the Social Director, a Member at Large and the Secretary. This year marks her 8th year on the Board.
• Dave Milne has been the Treasurer for the past two years. I’m sure it has felt more like ten with all of the work during the construction phase. We made it through, and Dave was a big part of that.
On behalf of the Board and the entire community, I want to thank you all for your efforts and commitment. You have truly made a difference.
We have a few other Directors stepping down at our AGM on Wednesday, September 23. We hope you can join us for this evening to say goodbye to outgoing Di-rectors and welcome the new ones!
On that note, I formally sign off as the President and welcome Anne-Marie. Thanks to all of the Board members and the entire community for your support; it has been a lot fun.
Past CKE CA President
September 18, 2020
VERY exciting news! TOMKO Sports Systems will be starting the resurfacing project in AUGUST. The courts will be out of commission for 4-6 weeks!
We are so grateful for all of you generous community members who donated to this project.
It’s not too late to donate to this project as a few items are still needed!
Kindly make donations directly online to Parks Foundation Calgary.
Please contact Lindsey at CKEtennis@gmail.com if you have any questions.
CKE is putting a combination lock on the gate so you’ll need to pay an access fee of $30/adult to get the code to use the court. Other communities charge more to access their courts, but we’ve decided to keep the fee low so the courts are accessible to all families. If you’re in a position to pay a bit more, we’d be most appreciative but there’s absolutely no pressure of course.
Group lessons (this may change later in the summer) can’t be offered at this time but coach Jelena will be offering private tennis lessons:
$50/hour for one person
$60/hour for 2-6 people (from same household).
Please contact her directly to arrange: Jelena Tomasovic
Advantage Tennis Academy 403.969.5003
Payments to be made via email transfer to CKETENNIS@gmail.com.
Safer use of tennis courts (from the City of Calgary site)
- If you have any symptoms (fever, cough, fatigue, etc), stay home and isolate.
- Wash your hands before and after using the tennis courts.
- Keep your distance, stay away from others. Leave at least 2 metres of space between players at all times.
- If the tennis court is crowded, head to another court.
- Each player should bring differently coloured tennis balls to the court. Only pick up/touch your own colours; don’t touch your opponent’s colours.
- At the end of your match, collect your own coloured balls and wash your hands.
- Don’t shake hands after the match.
February 18, 2020
The 2020 Heritage Soccer Season has been cancelled.
Important update – Heritage Soccer notice!
The planning committee will make a decision on April 10 on whether to cancel soccer for this season or postpone it because of the risk COVID-19 presents. We will be following recommendations from Alberta Health Services at that time. We’ve closed registration at this point but will be reopen it if we decide to postpone the start date. Thanks for your patience. Please stay tuned! Contact us at email@example.com
Springtime in Calgary brings bright sunshine, clear blue skies, and lots of little legs kicking soccer balls across our green fields! Join in on spring soccer so your kids stay active and make friends all at the same time!
Heritage Soccer is a recreational soccer league for children aged 3 to 12 from the communities of CKE, Haysboro, Kingsland, Fairview, Mayfair, Bel Aire and Meadowlark Park.
The league will run on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from April 30 to June 23, 2020 on Chinook Park School fields.
Online Registration: March 1st to March 31st
*Please note the last day to register online for soccer is March 31st.
Heritage Soccer is run by volunteers so please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up as a volunteer coach!
Note: You must have a current community membership to register your kids.